I was recently told by a good friend that I am transparent. I looked at her surprised and said ‘no I’m not’… I don’t want to believe that people may know me better than I know myself, or perhaps know how I think and process situations. My friend addressed it more as – I am openly public (and most of society is not). People easily read between the lines when I try to blog ‘vaguely’. I blog, tweet, etc etc like no one is watching – but people are. I’d be silly to think that no one is reading, this is the internet after all.
So I got thinking about how people have formed impressions of me. I accept and understand that. But I might as well set everyone up for success.
Dear stalkers ;) … 20 more facts about me:
- I was born on Salt Spring Island in Beautiful British Columbia.
- I have 2 younger sisters and 3 older step-brothers. The Brady bunch one might say.
- I have a lone grandparent. My grandpa, Bobby, is amazing. Everyone who has met him agrees.
- I grew up being taken care of by nannies (Type A, achievement-oriented momma). Most of the nannies were from Switzerland, some were awful, some were fantastic.
- I have been in university, pursuing an undergraduate degree since 2003. Yes, 2003. In that time, I did complete a Diploma in HR and 1/2 of the Event Management certificate program, but yes still truckin’ away at the Bachelor of Management (done in December – yay!).
- I have been working in Human Resources for 4ish years and I’m currently pursuing my CHRP (Certified Human Resources Professional) designation.
- I have a love affair with networking. Yes it is time consuming, but I truly find it so rewarding. I am continually surprised by the amazing people in this world.
- I am very picky with who I add to each of the different social networking sites. For more information, read my blog post on “Internet Friends.”
- I am active in the community and attempt to align my passions with varied non-profit work. Current initiatives include international work with Junior Chamber International, and youth education with the Canadian Mental Health Association.
- I love to travel. Love love love to travel. Last year I went to Las Vegas and Tunisia, Africa. This year I have been to Hawaii, New York, San Francisco, and fingers crossed I will be going to Osaka, Japan in November.
- I have moved 6 times in the last 7 years. I have a fantastic friend named Aaron who has assisted with all 6 moves – lucky him! ;) My friends don’t believe in house warming’s any more.
- My favourite type of yoga is Ashtanga Yoga. Flow yoga in a warm room, no opportunity to get bored.
- I read anything and everything. My roommate and I have a smart shelf (self-exploration, business, travel) and a less-then-smart shelf (chick lit). I read everything from Women’s Health to Malcolm Gladwell to the Shopaholic series.
- My favourite color is pink. But for some reason it was blue until I moved to Calgary… now I hate blue.
- I can be a girlie girl. I love dresses, skirts, tights, and nail polish.
- Wine is my friend, it might even be my lover. I love white, red, or any fancy blend.
- Speaking of drinks, I don’t like coffee – I can’t even stand the smell. I have never had a sip and I never plan to. I love tea, every type except chamomile.
- I don’t really like sweets. I could honestly do without ice cream, cake, candy, chocolate, etc in my life.
- I’ve always wanted a broken left arm. Are you laughing at me? I think a cast would be fun – especially a pink one!
- I have been blogging since 2004. I love to write. One day I hope to write a book.
To some degree, I’m an open book.
Does this scare me? Not really. I’m not scared of anyone reading my blog or learning more about me. Google me… I dare ya. Yes, I’ve had my run in with stalkers. Yes, I’ve had people tell me – they “know” me and they think we should be best friends. Do I entertain these offers? Absolutely not. I’m a small town girl, not stupid.
Feel like you know me? You don’t. Where would the intrigue be if I told you everything? ;) Yes I work in HR, travel, volunteer, and have a large family. But there is so much more… ❤