Just over 8 weeks ago we flew down to LA for a mini-vacay. The plan was sunshine, sports and soul recovery. ☀️
Here’s the thing though… life doesn’t always go as planned.
Less than 24 hrs after we arrived, Elliot was in a cycling accident in Malibu. He ended up with a broken jaw, broken teeth, a pile of face lacerations, tons of stitches, abrasions, etc!
The last couple months have been a whirlwind, and also, super freaking hard.
With that said, we’re now evolving out of “just get through the day mode.” #YAY
Elliot’s accident taught us (and reinforced) a ton. Here’s what we learned:
- Never travel without out of country medical insurance. (We were lucky to have it.)
- Out of country medical insurance claims are a pain in the ass. 😑 Know your policy inside & out — and add the 1-800- # (& plan details) to your phone.
- Strangers can make your day. (Thank you to the gal who picked Elliot off the street & drove him to the hospital.)
- Beverly Hills really does have the best plastic surgeons. 💁🏻 (Thank you, Dr. Barrett.)
- It never hurts to ask. There are a lot of kind people in the world. (Thank you, WestJet.) ❤️
- Changes to life don’t happen in isolation. When something major happens, everything else will be affected.
- A great blender is needed for a liquid diet. A Blendtec or Vitamix would be our vote!
- It’s okay to drop everything in your world in an effort to take care of yourself.
- Going through tough life shit reminds you of the importance of slowing down and taking a deep breath.
- Watch out for coyotes. (They’re assholes.)
To read Elliot’s blog on the crash, click here.
Photo taken at: Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica